EPJ N Meet the Editors: Introducing Professor Jan-Leen Kloosterman
This year, 2020, saw the appointment of Professor Jan Leen Kloosterman (TU Delft, The Netherlands) as Associate Editor for EPJ N. The journal is seeking to further develop its content on Nuclear Reactor Physics, so Prof. Kloosterman will support this area. Heading a department (Radiation Science and Technology), and boasting an impressive publication record, we were both delighted and honoured to welcome Prof. Kloosterman on the Editorial Board of our journal.
We have asked Prof. Kloosterman a few questions to get to know his research area and his approach to the role a little better…
I. What research projects are you and your group currently working on?
We are currently involved in advanced nuclear reactors like the molten salt reactor. We have developed our own multi-physics calculation schemes for the safety assessment of these reactors and want to expand our code system further to include other fields of physics and chemistry. It is exciting to envision where computer power and new numerical methods may lead to.
II. How do you see the field evolving?
We want to include more and more physics phenomena in our calculation schemes so that we can better understand and simulate nuclear reactors.
III. What do you enjoy the most about your role as Associate Editor for EPJ N?
I have organized a few special topics in this journal and the whole process went very smoothly. It is also nice the journal is open access so that everybody can benefit from the scientific progress made.
IV. What is the most rewarding aspect of your job?
The most rewarding aspect is to see students (masters level, PhD level) grow during their stay in our group. I like the enthusiasm and open-mindedness of young people.
We thank Prof. Kloosterman for his time and look forward to working with him to advance publications in his field.
- Editorial : progress in the science and technology of nuclear reactor using molten salts by Jan Leen Kloosterman, Elsa Merle and Jean C. Ragusa
- Topical Issue on Molten Salts Reactors - Guest Editors: Jan Leen Kloosterman, Elsa Merle and Jean Ragusa
Recent EPJ N publications by Prof. Kloosterman:
- Review of Euratom projects on design, safety assessment, R&D and licensing for ESNII/Gen-IV fast neutron systems by Konstantin Mikityuk, Luca Ammirabile, Massimo Forni, Jacek Jagielski, Nathalie Girault, Akos Horvath, Jan-Leen Kloosterman, Mariano Tarantino and Alfredo Vasile
EPJ Nuclear Sci. Technol., 6 (2020) 36
- Education, training and mobility: towards a common effort to assure a future workforce in Europe and abroad
by Walter Ambrosini, Rosa Lo Frano, Leon Cizelj, Pedro Dieguez-Porras, Egidijus Urbonavicius, Iskren Cvetkov, Daniela Diaconu, Jan Leen Kloosterman and Rudy J.M. Konings
EPJ Nuclear Sci. Technol., 6 (2020) 29
- Neutronic benchmark of the molten salt fast reactor in the frame of the EVOL and MARS collaborative projects by Mariya Brovchenko, Jan-Leen Kloosterman, Lelio Luzzi, Elsa Merle, Daniel Heuer, Axel Laureau, Olga Feynberg, Victor Ignatiev, Manuele Aufiero, Antonio Cammi, Carlo Fiorina, Fabio Alcaro, Sandra Dulla, Piero Ravetto, Lodewijk Frima, Danny Lathouwers and Bruno Merk
EPJ Nuclear Sci. Technol., 5 (2019) 2